UK Genealogy Archives logo

Horsley Woodhouse, Derbyshire

Historical Description

Horsley Woodhouse, a village and a township in Horsley parish, Derbyshire, 3½ miles ESE of Belper, and 1 mile from Derby station on the M.R. There is a post office under Derby; money order and telegraph office, Smalley. Acreage, 628; population, 934. It was formed into an ecclesiastical parish in 1878. Population, 906. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £216 with residence. The church, erected in 1882, is in the Early English style. There are also Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyDerbyshire 
Civil parishHorsley 
HundredMorleston and Litchurch 
Poor Law unionBelper 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in conjunction with the Derbyshire Record Office, have the Church of England Baptisms (1538-1916), Marriages and Banns (1538-1932), and Burials (1538-1991) online.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Horsley Woodhouse from the following:


Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.


Maps

Online maps of Horsley Woodhouse are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online:

DistrictAmber Valley
CountyDerbyshire
RegionEast Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtDE7
Post TownIlkeston