St George Hanover Square, Middlesex
George, St, Hanover Square, a parish in Westminster, Middlesex. The parish is the largest in Westminster; forms the most brilliant portion of the metropolis; extends from Regent Street westward to Kensington Gardens, and from Oxford Street and Uxbridge Road southward to the Thames and Brompton; includes Mayfair, Hyde Park, Knightsbridge, Belgravia, and Pimlico; contains Buckingham Palace, Hanover Square, Grosvenor Square, Berkeley Square, Belgrave Square, three other squares, and a great number of fashionable crescents, streets, and places; lies in the postal districts of London W and London SW; and has ready access to the metropolitan termini of all the railway communication of the kingdom. Area, 1117 acres, of which 33 are water; population, 78,364. The parish was originally part of St Martin's. Hanover Square, from which it takes the latter part of its name, is situated near its NE extremity; was built in 1720-30; occupies an area of 2 acres; and has the Oriental Club, the St George's Club, which occupies the site of the celebrated Hanover Square Concert Rooms, the Royal Academy of Music, and a bronze statue of William Pitt by Chantrey, set up in 1831. The parish church in George Street was built in 1724, after designs by John James; has a lofty portico 59 feet wide; contains three painted windows of about the year 1520, brought from Mechlin, and representing a Jesse tree; and is the most fashionable church in the metropolis for marriages. St George's Hospital, at Hyde Park Corner, occupies the site of Lanesborough House, and is a general hospital for the relief of sick poor; is one of the largest and best known of the London hospitals, and was the place in which John Hunter, the famous surgeon, died. The burial ground belonging to the parish, on the road to Bayswater, contains the grave of Laurence Sterne, the author of "Tristram Shandy," and here also lay the remains of General Sir Thomas Picton, till they were removed in 1859 to St Paul's Cathedral. The other chief objects in the parish- squares, public institutions, &c.-will be found noticed in the article, LONDON, in which article will also be found particulars as to the livings.
We have transcribed the Marriages 1725-1745.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online