Cowley or Cowley Peachy, Middlesex
Cowley or Cowley-Peachy, a village and a parish in Middlesex, on the Roman road from Staines to St Albans, the river Colne, and the Grand Junction Canal, at the boundary with Bucks, 1½ mile S of Uxbridge station on the G.W.R., and 1½ N of West Drayton, with a post and telegraph office, of the name of Cowley, under Uxbridge; money order office, Greenway, Uxbridge. Acreage, 272; population, 322. Cowley Grove and Cowley House are chief residences. Fruit is grown here, brick-making is carried on, and there are cement and cocoa-fibre works. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London; gross yearly value, £140. The church is a building of flint, chiefly in the Early English style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Cowley St. Lawrence|
|Poor Law union||Uxbridge|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
We have transcribed the Marriages at St. Laurence, Cowley 1563-1837.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cowley or Cowley Peachy from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Cowley (St. Lawrence))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Middlesex is online.