Colnbrook, a town and an ecclesiastical parish on the mutual border of Middlesex and Bucks. The town stands on the river Colne, which divides the counties. It is 4 miles E of Windsor, and 4½ N by W of Staines, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Slough. It dates from very early times, was incorporated in 1543, had long a weekly market, and still has fairs on 5 April and 16 Oct. There is a station here on the Staines and West Drayton branch of the G.W.R. The ecclesiastical parish was formed from portions of the parishes of Stanwell, Iver, Horton, and Langley Marsh. Population, 1380. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford; value, £110 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Oxford. The Church was built in 1849, and is a building of flint in the Early English style. The chancel, which is richly decorated, contains good stained windows, and is separated from the nave by a fine rood screen carved in dark oak. There are Baptist, Congregational, and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Eton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1760
Church of England
St Thomas (parish church)
The old parish church of St. Mary, not now existing, stood on another site, and was built in 1790 to replace a still earlier building. The church of St. Thomas, erected in 1849 and completely renovated in 1926, is an edifice of flint in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, with oak stalls, nave of four bays, north aisle, west porch and a western bell gable containing one bell: the original clock, supposed to be of considerable antiquity, is on the bell gable of the existing church: it was the gift of the 1st Duke of Marlborough when his mansion here was pulled down, on his taking possession of Blenheim: the chancel is divided from the nave by a carved oak screen of Flamboyant design, erected in 1880: the east window, two Early English windows on the south and one on the north side are stained: the reredos - a triptych - is carved in dark oak, relieved by a profusion of gilding: the communion table is of white cedar, elaborately carved, made from wood brought from Lebanon for the purpose by Dr. Alfred Meadows, of Poyle Manor, at whose expense the reredos, screen and stalls were also erected and the mural decoration carried out: the pulpit, of carved oak on a marble base, was erected in memory of Dr. Meadows, who died in 1887: the War Memorial chapel in the north aisle was consecrated in 1934, in honour of those who fell in the Great War, 1914-18: it has an English altar under a carved oak beam carrying the four quarters of the Royal Standard on medallions, with a centre medallion representing the Lamb of God: the names of the fallen are carved on the pillar, which is formed into the south side of the chapel: there are 543 sittings. The churchyard was closed for burials by Order in Council, in 1909.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Colnbrook from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Colnbrook)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Middlesex is online.