Clapton, five chapelries in Hackney parish, Middlesex, between the North London railway and the river Lea, 3½ miles NE by N of St Paul's, London. They adjoin Hackney and Lea-Bridge railway stations, are jointly a suburb of London, have post offices of Lower Clapton and Upper Clapton under London NE, are thickly studded with villa residences, include the chief barracks of the Salvation Army (formerly the London Orphan Asylum) and the Hackney Grammar School. Lords Northumberland, Brock, and Hnnsdon, and the family of John Howard were residents. The livings are vicarages in the diocese of London; value of Lower Clapton, £300; of Upper Clapton with Holy Trinity Lea Bridge, £600. Patron of the former, the rector of Hackney St John; of the latter, the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury. Upper Clapton church was built in 1869 at a cost of about £15,000, and is in the style of the 13th century. There are chapels for all denominations of dissenters, some of them very handsome buildings. See LONDON.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Hackney|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Clapton from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Middlesex is online.