Bushy Park, Middlesex
Bushy Park, a royal park in Teddington parish, Middlesex, on the Thames adjacent to Hampton. It comprises 1110 acres, and includes all the enclosures belonging to Hampton Court, except the Home Park. There are nine avenues of chestnuts and limes, noted for beauty and magnificence. A right of passage through it having been withheld from the public, was recovered by the exertions of a humble shoemaker named Timothy Bennet, a resident at Hamptonwick. The house in it is a square brick structure, erected by the Earl of Halifax, and much improved by William IV.; it was occupied occasionally by George IV., and much by William IV. and his dowager queen. It is now used as the residence of the ranger. There is a station of Teddington and Bushy Park on the L. & S.W.R.