Bayswater, a suburb of London, and a chapelry in Paddington parish, Middlesex. The suburb adjoins Hyde Park, Kensington Gardens, and the G.W.R., 3½ miles W of St Paul's. It was called originally Baynard's Water, and it took the first part of its name from Baynard, an associate of William the Conqueror, who held it of Westminster Abbey— and the second part from copious springs which long supplied the greater part of the metropolis with water. The same Baynard gave his name to Baynard Castle, now extinct, and to the ward of Castle-Baynard. The suburb is now a fashionable, richly-built part of London, and contains some fine streets, terraces, crescents, and squares. The extensive tea-gardens belonging to the famous herbalist, Sir John Hill, satirized by Garrick, were here. St George's burial-ground, fronting Hyde Park, contains the graves of Lawrence Sterne, Sir Thomas Picton, and Mrs Radcliffe. The chapelry bears the name of St Matthews Bayswater, and was constituted in 1858. Population of the chapelry, 6180. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bayswater from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Bayswater)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Middlesex is online.