New Southgate, Middlesex
Southgate, New, an ecclesiastical parish, which was formed in 1873 out of the ancient parishes of Friern Barnet, and Edmonton, 6½ miles from London. It has a station on the G.N.R., a post, money order, and telegraph office in the N Metropolitan postal district, and a large police station. Population, 4562. There are waterworks belonging to the New River Co. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London; gross value, £275 with residence, in the gift of the Vicar of Southgate. The church, erected in 1873, from designs by the late Sir G. Gilbert Scott, R.A., is a building of stone in the Early English style. There are Union, Congregational, and Baptist chapels. The Clock and Watch Makers' Asylum was erected in 1857, and consists of twenty-one houses. There are large photographic printing works in connection with the London Stereoscopic Company.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Middlesex is online.