New Cross, London
New Cross, a populous suburb of London, in The county of London, at the mutual boundary of Kent and Surrey. It has stations on the L.B. & S.C.R. and S.E.R., 4 miles from London. The church of St James, erected in 1853, is a stone building in the Gothic style. The Goldsmiths' Technical and Recreative Institute occupies the buildings formerly belonging to the Royal Naval School. The Aske Schools, founded in 1692 from an endowment left by Robert Aske, are in this suburb; the schools were refounded in 1865 by the Haberdashers' Company. See LONDON and GREENWICH.
The Visitation of London, 1568 is available to browse from the Heraldry page.