London, West, Railway, Middlesex
London, West, Railway, a railway, in conjunction with the Kensington Canal, in the western suburbs of the metropolis. It was authorised in 1836 under the title of the Birmingham, Bristol, and Thames Junction, to unite the N.W.R. and the G.W.R. with the western parts of the metropolis and to communicate with the Thames through the medium of the Kensington Canal, purchased for £36,000; it changed its original title for the subsequent one in 1841; it was to have a total length of 9¼ miles (upwards of three of which, from the N.W.R. near Kensal Green Cemetery to the Kensington Canal, were opened in 1844); it was leased in 1845 for 9 9 9 years at an annual rent of £1800 jointly to the N.W.R. and the G.W.R.; and it was transferred, together with the canal, in 1859 to the West London Railway Extension Works.