UK Genealogy Archives logo

Havengore Island, London

Historical Description

Havengore Island is a small island at the mouth of the Thames, nearly opposite the Nore light, and 6½ miles E by S from Rochford. It was formerly extra-parochial, but is now a parish in the Rochford union. The nearest station is at Shoeburyness, London, Tilbury, and Southend railway. Post town, Southend; money order and telegraph office, Great Wakering. Area, 299 acres; population, 18. There is a pilot mark at the entrance of Havengore Creek, which forms the eastern limit of the port of London.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5