Forest Gate, Middlesex
Forest Gate, a populous suburb of London, 1½ mile ENE of Stratford, and bordering on Wanstead Flats. It is a ward of the municipal borough of West Ham, and is included in the West Ham union. It has a station on the G.E.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office, with two other pot,t offices in the Eastern Metropolitan Postal District. It includes the ecclesiastical parishes of Emmanuel, St James', St Saviour's, and All Saints. The parish of Emmanuel was formed in 1852 from the parishes of East and West Ham. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; gross yearly value, £100 with residence, in the gift of the Vicars of East and West Ham alternately. The church is a building of rubble in the Gothic style, and was designed by the late Sir G. Gilbert Scott, R.A. St James' was formed in 1881 out of Emmanuel and St John Stratford. The living is a vicarage; gross yearly value, £600 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of St Albans. The church is a building of brick and stone in the Gothic style. St Saviour's was formed in 1884 to meet the wants of the growing population, and is a vicarage of the yearly value of £300, in the gift of trustees. The church, a building of red brick and Bath stone in the Early English style, was consecrated in 1884. The living of All Saints is a vicarage; gross yearly value, £100 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of St Albans. The church is a building of flint and stone in the Early English style, and was erected in 1885-86. There are Baptist, Congregational, Primitive Methodist, United Free Methodist, Unitarian, and Wesleyan chapels. There are three cemeteries-Manor Park, occupying an area of 41 acres; West Ham with 20 acres, and the Jewish with 11 acres; also a Tonic Sol-Fa College and several almshouses. The Forest Gate District Industrial Schools for the Whitechapel and Poplar unions have accommodation for 720 children.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Middlesex is online.