Finsbury Park, Middlesex
Finsbury Park is a district about 4½ miles N of London, situated around the park of that name. It is in the northern metropolitan postal district, and is governed by the local boards of Hornsey and South Hornsey. It has a. large junction station of the same name on the G.N.R. and North London railway, to which the S.E. and L.C. & D.R. run trains, a station called Harringay on the G.N.R.½ and another called Green Lanes on the M.R. The park, which comprises about 120 acres, includes what was formerly known as Hornsey Wood, has an ornamental lake, is well laid out, and from its elevated position commands-some extensive views. The district .includes the ecclesiastical parishes of St John the Evangelist, formed in 1875, and that of Sfc Thomas, formed in 1888. The living of St John's is a vicarage in the diocese of London. It is endowed by th& Ecclesiastical Commissioners with £200 a year, and, with the seat rents, is of the gross yearly value of £500. Patron, the Bishop of London. The church, a building in the Early English style, was erected in 1874-78. The living of Sfc Thomas is a vicarage; net yearly value, £310. Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church, a building of brick and stone in the Early English style, was erected in 1888-89. There is a mission-house of the East London Deaconesses-Home, conducted under the direction of the vicar of St Thomas'. There are Baptist, Congregational, and Wesleyan chapels, and also places of worship belonging to the Primitive-Methodists and the Brethren.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Finsbury Park from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Middlesex is online.