UK Genealogy Archives logo

Holbrook, Derbyshire

Historical Description

Holbrook, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish formed from Duffield parish, Derbyshire. The village stands near Coxbench railway station, 2½ miles SSE of Belper, and has a post office under Derby; money order and telegraph office, Kilburn. The parish includes also Holbrook Moor, Bargate, and part of Coxbench. Acreage of township, 887; population, 1094. Holbrook Hall, on high ground and commanding fine views, Coxbench Hall, and Netherlea are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of South-well; net value, £196 with residence. The church was built in 1761, and rebuilt in 1841, and in 1887 it was thoroughly renovated and reseated, and is a plain neat edifice without a tower. There are Congregational and Free Methodist chapels, a convalescent home for patients from the Derby Infirmary, and three ancient charities.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyDerbyshire 
Civil parishDuffield 
HundredAppletree 
Poor Law unionBelper 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in conjunction with the Derbyshire Record Office, have the Church of England Baptisms (1538-1916), Marriages and Banns (1538-1932), and Burials (1538-1991) online.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Holbrook from the following:


Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.


Maps

Online maps of Holbrook are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online:

DistrictAmber Valley
CountyDerbyshire
RegionEast Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtDE56
Post TownBelper