Hognaston, a parish, with a village, in Derbyshire, on an affluent of the river Dove, 5 miles from Wirksworth station on the M.R. There is a post and money order office under Ashbonrne; telegraph office, Ashbourne. Acreage, 1410 y population, 253. The manor is held by the trustees of P. Gell, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of South-well; gross value, £127. Patron, the Bishop of Southwell. The church is very ancient, has a fine Saxon arch and a-sqnare tower, and was thoroughly restored in 1881. There are Primitive Methodist and Congregational chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hognaston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hognaston)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Hognaston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: