UK Genealogy Archives logo

Hilton, Derbyshire

Historical Description

Hilton, a township in Marston-upon-Dove parish, Derbyshire, on a branch of the river Dove, 3 miles NW of Egginton railway station, and 5 N of Burton-upon-Trent. It has a post and money order office under Derby; telegraph office, Etwall. Acreage, 1761; population, 805. The Wakelyn is an ancient gabled mansion, half-timbered, and curiously ornamented. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, and an endowed school which dates from 1655.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyDerbyshire 
Civil parishMarston upon Dove 
HundredAppletree 
Poor Law unionBurton-upon-Trent 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in conjunction with the Derbyshire Record Office, have the Church of England Baptisms (1538-1916), Marriages and Banns (1538-1932), and Burials (1538-1991) online.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Hilton from the following:


Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.


Maps

Online maps of Hilton are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online:

DistrictSouth Derbyshire
CountyDerbyshire
RegionEast Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtDE65
Post TownDerby