Heath, a village and a parish in Chesterfield union, Derbyshire. The village stands on an affluent of the river Rother, 3 miles NE of Clay Cross railway station, 142 from London, 5 SE by E of Chesterfield, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Chesterfield. The parish comprises 1676 acres; population, 403. The manor belongs to the Duke of Devonshire. There are collieries in the neighbourhood. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of South-well; gross value, £180 with residence. Patron, the Duke of Devonshire. The church was built in 1853, is in the Decorated English style, and consists of nave and chancel, with tower and small spire, in which bells were hnngin 1883.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Heath All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Chesterfield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Heath 1682-1812, Derbyshire is available to browse online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Heath from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Heath (All Saints))
- Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1899
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Heath are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: