Heanor, a township and a parish in Smalley petty sessional division, Derbyshire. The township stands near the i Erewash river, 9 miles from Derby. There are four railway stations in the parish, one on the G.N.R., the other on the M.R. at Heanor, and Langley Mill and Marlpool on the M.R. It is governed by a board of health, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.) A market is held every Saturday and a cattle fair on Old Martinmas day.
The township comprises 1579 acres; population, 9779. The parish contains also Aldercar, Langley Mill, Langley, and Marl-pool. There are several collieries in the parish, and hosiery is extensively manufactured. The living is a rectory in the diocese of SouthweU; gross value, £329 with residence. The church is Early English, belonged'once to Dale Abbey, consists of nave, N and S aisles, and chancel, with a square tower, contains several monuments to the Mundy family and one to the native sculptor Samuel Watson, and was completely rebuilt in 1868. A cemetery with two conjoint chapels, surmounted by tower and spire, was opened in 1858, and is managed by a burial board of nine members. There are Baptist, Wesleyan, Primitive and Free Methodist chapels, and a Friends' meeting-house. There is a recreation ground with good pavilion. There two district churches, one at Aldercar and the other at Marlpool. There are also several day schools, a technical school, and several libraries.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Heanor St. Mary|
|Hundred||Morleston and Litchurch|
|Poor Law union||Basford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Heanor 1558-1837, Derbyshire, is available to browse online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Heanor from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Heanor (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Heanor are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: