Heage or High Edge, Derbyshire
Heage or High Edge, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Duffield parish, Derbyshire, near the river Derwent, the Cromford Canal, and the M.R., 1½ mile SE of Amber-gate railway station, and 2½ miles NNE of Belper, with a post and money order office, of the name of Heage, under Belper; telegraph office, Belper. Acreage, 2367; population, 2490. The ecclesiastical parish contains also the hamlets of Nether Heage, Cackleton, Toadmoor, Ambergate, and Boothgate. The manor belongs to the Hurt family. There are quarries, corn-mills, saw-mills, and a brush manufactory. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £175 with residence. The church is ancient, and was repaired and enlarged in 1836; two stained windows were erected, and half an acre of land added to the churchyard in 1881. There are Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist, and Free Methodist chapels, and an endowed school.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Belper|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Heage or High Edge from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Heage)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Heage or High Edge are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: