Hayfield, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Glossop parish, Derbyshire. The village stands among the mountains of High Peak on the banks of the Sett; it has a station on the Sheffield and Midland Joint railways, 5 miles S by E of Glossop, a post, money order, and telegraph office under Stockport, and fairs on 12 May and 10 Oct. for cattle. The township includes the village, and 'comprises the hamlets of Great Hamlet, Phoside, and Rinder. Acreage, 7920; population, 2856. The manor belongs to the Duke of Devonshire. There are cotton and paper mills, and calico print works. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £180 with residence. Patrons, freeholders. The church was rebuilt in 1819, and is a building in the Early English style, consisting of a chancel, a nave, aisles, and a tower. There are three dissenting chapels, a parsonage erected in 1869, and .Liberal and Conservative clubs.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Hayfield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hayfield from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hayfield)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Hayfield are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: