Hasland, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Chesterfield parish, Derbyshire. The village stands 1¼ mile SE of Chesterfield town and railway station, is a scattered place, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Chesterfield and a station for goods on the M.R. Acreage of township, 2103; population, 5817. The manor belongs to the Duke of Devonshire. Hasland Hall belonged to the Lowes, and passed to the Lucases. There are collieries and ironworks, and bricks and tiles are made. The ecclesiastical parish is less extensive than the township, and was constituted in 1851. Population, 4099. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £245 with residence. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel and a cemetery.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Chesterfield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hasland from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Hasland are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: