Hartshorne, a village and a parish in Derbyshire. The village stands 3 miles W of the boundary with Leicestershire, 3½ NW of Ashby-de-Ia-Zouch, has a railway station at Woodville on the M.R., and a post office under Burton-upon-Trent; money order and telegraph office, Woodville. The parish comprises 2910 acres; population, 1878. The lord of the manor is chief landowner. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £540 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Carnarvon. The church is ancient, with a tower, and was partly rebuilt in 1835. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hartshorne St. Peter|
|Hundred||Repton and Gresley|
|Poor Law union||Ashby-de-la-Zouch|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hartshorne from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hartshorne (St. Peter))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Hartshorne are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: