Hadfield, a village and an ecclesiastical parish in Glossop parish and borough, Derbyshire. The village stands near the boundary with Cheshire, the river Etherow, and the Manchester and Sheffield railway, 2 miles WNW of GIossop, and has a station on the railway and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Manchester. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1875. Population, 7343. Hadfield Hall, an old seat of the Hadfields, built in 1646, has now been converted into cottages. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £265. Patrons, trustees. The church is a building in the Gothic style, erected in 1874. There are several cotton mills, a Roman Catholic church, and Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist, and Free Methodist chapels. The Roman Catholic church was built partly with the aid of £5000 from Lord Edward Howard. A convent was erected in 1887 near the church.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Glossop|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hadfield from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hadfield)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Hadfield are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: