Isle of Axholme, Lincolnshire
Axholme, Isle of, an insulated tract, between the rivers Trent, Idle, and Don, in the extreme NW of Lincolnshire. It comprises the parishes of Althorpe, Belton, Crowie, Ep-worth, Haxey, Luddington, Owston, West Butterwick, and Wrost, Its length, north-north-eastward, is 17 miles, and its mean breadth is about 4½ miles. The surface is low, flat, and naturally marshy, but it produces large quantities of corn, potatoes, rye-grass, and seeds. A forest seems anciently to have covered it, and remains of trees are found a few feet below the surface. A castle of the Mowbrays, razed in 1174, stood at Haxey, then called Axel, and thence arose the name Axelholm, now altered into Axhoime.
Online maps of Isle of Axholme are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: