Haverholme Priory, Lincolnshire
Haverholme Priory, formerly an extra-parochial tract, now a parish in Lincolnshire, forming an island within two arms of the Sleaford river, 3 miles NE by N from Sleaford, and 2 SE from Ruskington station on the G.N. & G.E. Joint railways. Acreage, 312; 'population, 24. A Cistercian priory, a cell to Fountains Abbey, was projected here in 113.7 by Alexander, bishop of Lincoln, but was superseded in 1189 by a Gilbertine monastery, and this was given at the dissolution to the Clintons. A very ancient mansion, called Haverholrne Priory, now stands here; has been modernized into a handsome edifice in the Tudor style, is surrounded with a well-wooded park, and is the seat of the Earl of Winchilsea and Nottingham.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Sleaford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Haverholme Priory from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Haverholme-Priory)
Online maps of Haverholme Priory are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: