UK Genealogy Archives logo

Harrowby, Lincolnshire

Historical Description

Harrowby, a township in Grantham parish, Lincolnshire, adjacent to the Grantham and Nottingham Canal, 1 mile W of Grantham. Acreage, 1543; population, 272. The manor belonged to the Bolts; passed about the middle of last century to the Eyders, and gives them the title of Earl. Harrowby Hall was formerly the seat of the earls, but is now used as a farmhouse. The barracks of the Royal South Lincolnshire Militia, which were erected in 1858, and enlarged in 1872, are at Harrowby.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyLincolnshire 
Civil parishGrantham 
Poor Law unionGrantham 
WapentakeLoveden 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Harrowby from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Harrowby are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online:

DistrictSouth Kesteven
CountyLincolnshire
RegionEast Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtNG31
Post TownGrantham