Griff, a hamlet in Chilvers Coton parish, Warwickshire, on the Coventry Canal, 2 miles S of Nuneaton. It has a post office under Nuneaton; money order and telegraph office, Bedworth. Griff Manor belonged in the time of Elizabeth to the Giffords, and passed to the Newdegates, Griff Grange, formerly extra-parochial, now included in Hopton township, Derbyshire, 2½ miles W of Wirksworth.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Chilvers Coton|
|Poor Law union||Nuneaton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Griff from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: