Great Longstone, Derbyshire
Longstone, Great, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Bakewell parish, Derbyshire. The village stands on high ground, under a lofty range of hills called Longstone Edge, near the Derby to Manchester branch of the M.R., 3 miles NW by N of Bakewell; consists of one long-street, and has a station on the railway, and a post and money order office under Bakewell; telegraph office at the railway station. Acreage of township, 3045; population, 535. It has a parish council composed of six members. The manor and much of the land belong to the Duke of Devonshire. Longstone Hall is an ancient mansion at the W end of the village. The ecclesiastical parish includes also Little Longstone and Rowland townships, and part of Wardlow. Population, 718. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £17 9 with residence. Patron, the Vicarof Bakewell. The church is old, and was restored in 1873, when an organ was erected and a vestry added; comprises nave and chancel, LONGS-TONE, LITTLE with a battlemented western tower; and contains monuments of the noble family of Eyre. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Bakewell|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great Longstone from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Longstone, Great)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Great Longstone are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: