Great Barlow, Derbyshire
Barlow, Great, a village, a township, and a parish in Derbyshire, on a small stream, about 3¼ miles NW of Chesterfield station on the M.R. It has a post and money order office of the name of Barlow, under Chesterfield. Acreage, 3932; population, 1107. The property is divided among a few. The Duke of Rutland is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £184 with residence. Patron, the Rector of Staveley. The church is good. Charities, £25 yearly, for distribution, also one providing for the education of ten children.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1573.
Church of England
St. Lawrence (parish church)
The church of St. Lawrence is a small Norman building, consisting of chancel (added in 1867), nave and lady chapel, south porch and turret containing one bell: there are four stained windows, placed here in 1874; an inscribed marble slab to Robert Barley and his wife, Margaret, dated 1469, and an ancient coffin lid with inscription, but undated: there are 201 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great Barlow from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Barlow)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: