UK Genealogy Archives logo

Butterwick, West, with Kelfield, Lincolnshire

Historical Description

Butterwick, West, with Kelfield, a village, a township, and a parish in Lincolnshire, on the river Trent, 3 miles S of Althorpe station on the M.S. & L.R. The village has a ferry to East Butterwick, and the Hull and Gainsborough steam packets call daily. It has a post and money order office under Doncaster; telegraph office, Burringham. Acreage of the civil parish, 2394; population, 663; of the ecclesiastical, 667. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln; net yearly value, £279 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Owston. The church was built in 1841. There are General Baptist, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyLincolnshire 
Civil parishOwston 
Poor Law unionGainsborough 
WapentakeManley 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Butterwick, West, with Kelfield from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Butterwick, West, with Kelfield are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online:


Villages, Hamlets, &c

Kelfield
CountyNorth Lincolnshire
RegionYorkshire and the Humber
CountryEngland
Postal districtDN17
Post TownScunthorpe