Brigg or Glanford Brigg, Lincolnshire
Brigg or Glanford Brigg, a township and a market and union town in the parishes of Bigby and Wrawby, and a parliamentary division, in Lincolnshire, on the river Ancholme, 16 miles SW from Hull, and 19 W from Grimsby. The town has a station on the M.S. & L.R., and is a head post, money order, and telegraph office. It was formerly a small fishing hamlet, and the surrounding country consisted chiefly of open heath, but it is now a busy thriving town, and all the land is under cultivation. It is governed by a local board of 15 members under the Local Government Act, and was made an ecclesiastical parish in 1872 from the civil parishes of Bigby, Broughton, Scawby, and Wrawby. It is well lighted, and has an excellent supply of water. The market day is Thursday, and it has a fair for the sale of cattle, &c., on 5 Aug., and a hiring fair for servants on the Friday before Old May Day. There is a corn exchange, which was built in 1850, and a police station, where the sittings of the petty sessions and county court are held. The living is designated the vicarage of Glanford Brigg, in the diocese of Lincoln; net yearly value, £226 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Lincoln. The church, an edifice of stone in the Gothic style, was built in 1842-43. There are also Roman Catholic, Congregational, Free and Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan chapels. The workhouse, erected in 1835, has accommodation for 220 inmates. There are two banks, a reading-room, an endowed grammar school, and a weekly newspaper. In 1886 a very ancient ship, over 48 feet in length, hewn from a single oak, was found on the land belonging to the Brigg gasworks. Acreage of the township, 463; population, 3100; of the ecclesiastical parish of Glanford Brigg, 3122.
Brigg (or North Lindsey) Parliamentary Division of Lincolnshire was formed under the Redistribution of Seats Act of 1885, and returns one member to the House of Commons. Population, 49,096. The division includes the following:-Winterton-Alkborough, Appleby, Ashby, Bottesford, Bromby, Burringham, Burton-upon-Stather, Butterwick (East), Crosby, Flixborough, Frodingham, Gunhouse, Halton (West), Holme, Manton, Messingham, Raventhorpe, Roxby, Scunthorpe, Twigmore, Whitton, Winteringham, Winterton, Yaddlethorpe; Brigg-Barnetby-le-Wold, Bigby, Brocklesby, Bronghton, Caistor, Cadney-cum-Howsham, Clixby, Oroxton, Elsham, Glanford Brigg, Grasby, Hilbaldstow, Keelby, Kirmington, Limber (Great), Melton Boss, Nettleton, Newstead, North Kelsey, Redbourne, Searby-cum-Owmby, Scawby-cum-Sturton, Snitterby, Somerby, Waddingham, Worlaby, Wrawby; Barton-Barton (St Mary), Barton (St Peter), Barrow, Bonby, Ferriby (South), Goxhill, Habrongh, Halton (East), Horkstow, Killingholme (North), Killingholme (South), Saxby, Thornton Curtis, Ulceby, Wootton; Grimbsy (part of)-Ashby-cum-Fenby, Aylesby, Barnoldby-le-Beck, Beelsby, Bradley, Brigsley, Cabourn, Clee-with-Weelsby, Cleethorpes, Coates (Great), Coates (Little), Cuxwold, Grimsby (Great), Hatcliffe, Healing, Immingham, Irby, Laceby, Ravendale (East), Ravendale (West), Riby, Rothwell, Scarthoe, Stallingborough, Swallow, Waltham; Great Grimbsy, municipal borough.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Brigg:
Online maps of Brigg or Glanford Brigg are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: