UK Genealogy Archives logo

Foston and Scropton, Derbyshire

Historical Description

Foston and Scropton, a township in Scropton parish, Derbyshire, near the river Dove, 6½ miles NW of Burton-upon-Trent. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Derby. The nearest station is Sudbury on the North Stafford railway. Acreage, 2850; population, 512. Foston Hall is the property of the Gumming family, who are lords of the manor and principal landowners. The township is a meet for the Meynell hounds. Arthur Agard, who was for 45 years deputy-chamberlain of the Exchequer, and died in 1651, was a native.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyDerbyshire 
Civil parishScropton 
HundredAppletree 
Poor Law unionBurton 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in conjunction with the Derbyshire Record Office, have the Church of England Baptisms (1538-1916), Marriages and Banns (1538-1932), and Burials (1538-1991) online.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Foston and Scropton from the following:


Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: