Foremark, a township and a parish in Derbyshire. The township lies near the river Trent, 3 miles E by S of Wil-lington railway station, and 6½ S of Derby. Post town, Burton-on-Trent; money order and telegraph office, Bepton. Area of township, 1207 acres; population, 93; area of parish, 2133 acres; population, 192. The parish includes also the township of Ingleby. Foremark House is the seat of the Burdett family, who are lords of the manor and chief landowners. A cave called the Anchor Church got its name from being the retreat of an anchorite. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; gross yearly value, £102. Patron, Sir Francis Burdett, Bart.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Foremark St. Saviour|
|Hundred||Repton and Gresley|
|Poor Law union||Burton-upon-Trent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Foremark 1663-1837, Derbyshire is available to browse online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Foremark from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Foremark (St. Saviour))
- Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1899
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Foremark are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: