Thringstone, a township in Whitwick parish, Leicestershire, 1 mile from Whitwick station on the Charnwood Forest branch of the L. & N.W.R, 1¼ NNE of Swannington station on the Leicester and Burton-on-Trent branch of the M.R., and 5 miles E by N from Ashby-de-la-Zouch. It has a post and money order office under Leicester; telegraph office, Whitwick. Acreage, 872; population, 911. There is a parish council consisting of six members. The manor belongs to the baronet family of Beaumont. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Peterborough; gross value, £174 with residence, in the gift of the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster. The church of Whitwick St Andrew, erected in 1862, is a building of stone in the Early English style. There are also Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Ashby-de-la-Zouch|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Thringstone (Whitwick, St Andrew's):
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Thringstone from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Online maps of Thringstone are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: