Stanbridge, a small village and a parish in Beds, 1 mile NNW of Stanbridgeford station on the L. & N.W.R., and 3 miles ESE of Leighton Buzzard. There is a post office under Leighton Buzzard; money order and telegraph office, Hockliffe. Acreage, 1514; population, 402. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor belongs to the Hanmer family. Many of the inhabitants are employed in straw-plait working. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; net value, £259 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Leighton Buzzard. The church is an ancient Gothic edifice, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and an embattled western tower. There are also Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Leighton Buzzard|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1560.
The Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service (BLARS) hold the registers for Stanbridge: Baptisms 1560-1986, Marriages 1560-1974, Burials 1560-1986, Banns 1825-1986. Transcripts in either book or microfiche form for registers prior to 1813 can be purchased from the BLARS (see website for details).
Church of England
St. John the Baptist (parish church)
The church of St. John the Baptist is a building of the 13th and 15th centuries, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of four bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 5 bells: the church was altered in the 15th century, the nave roof flattened and leaded, the clerestory added, and Perpendicular windows inserted: there is an ancient stone font, of very early, possibly Saxon, date: in the north wall of the chancel is a low side window, and at the west end of the north aisle a curious quatrefoil window: the church was re-opened in 1893, after complete restoration, at a cost of £2,100.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Stanbridge was in Leighton Buzzard Registration District from 1837 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stanbridge from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Standbridge)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Bedfordshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Stanbridge are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Bedfordshire papers online:
- Bedfordshire Times and Independent
- Biggleswade Chronicle
- Luton Times and Advertiser
- Luton News and Bedfordshire Chronicle
Stanbridge was in Leighton Buzzard Poor Law Union. For further detailed history of the Leighton Buzzard Union see Peter Higginbotham's excellent resource: Leighton Buzzard Poor Law Union and Workhouse.
A full transcript of the Visitations of Bedfordshire 1566, 1582, and 1634 is available online.