Fenny Bentley, Derbyshire
Bentley Fenny or Fenny Bentley, a village and a parish in Derbyshire, in Dovedale, 2½ miles N of Ashborne railway station. The parish has a post office under Ashborne, which is the telegraph office; money order office, Tissington. Acreage, 1038; population, 236. The manor belongs to the Challiner family. Sir W. Fitzherbert, Bart., is the chief landowner. The living is a rectory in the diocese of South-well; value, £250. Patron, the Bishop of Southwell. The church was repaired in 1850, and contains curious old monuments of the Beresfords, as well as a beautiful 15th century rood screen of old carved oak in perfect order, erected by the sons of Thomas Beresford (who fought at Agincourt, and whose tomb and memorial window are in the church) as a thankoffering after the Wars of the Roses.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Fenny Bentley St. Mary Magdalene|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Fenny Bentley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Bentley, Fenny (St. Mary Magdalene))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Fenny Bentley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: