Lubbesthorpe, a township and a chapelry in Aylestone parish, Leicestershire, on the river Soar, 4 miles SW of Leicester railway station. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Leicester. Acreage, 2689; population, 96. A monastery was anciently here, and the site of it is now occupied by a farmhouse. The church of the chapelry went long ago into decay.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Blaby|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The ancient chapel of St. Peter has long been in ruins, and a farm-house occupies part of the site. The inhabitants attend the church at Enderby.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Lubbesthorpe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Lubbesthorpe)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online:
By Local Government Board Order No. 32,954, March 26, 1896, those parts of Aylestone and Knighton civil parishes, not added to Leicester borough in 1891, were annexed to Lubbesthorpe civil parish. By an Order in Council, in 1903, this parish, for ecclesiastical purposes, was added to Enderby.