UK Genealogy Archives logo

Fairfield, Derbyshire

Historical Description

Fairfield, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Derbyshire, near the Buxton railway, 1 mile ENE of Buxton, with a post and money order office (T.S.O.) under Buxton; telegraph office, Buxton. Acreage, 3979; population of the township, 3854; of the ecclesiastical parish, 3817. The manor belongs to the Duke of Devonshire. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £200 with residence. Patrons, Trustees. The church was rebuilt in 1839. It was restored and enlarged in 1889, and a new organ erected in 1893. There is a Wesleyan chapel, built 1887-88. An endowed school, erected in 1862, has about £90 per annum. The district is governed by a local board.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyDerbyshire 
Civil parishHope 
HundredHigh Peak 
Poor Law unionChapel-en-le-Frith 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Fairfield 1756-1837, Derbyshire, is available to browse online.

Ancestry.co.uk, in conjunction with the Derbyshire Record Office, have the Church of England Baptisms (1538-1916), Marriages and Banns (1538-1932), and Burials (1538-1991) online.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Fairfield from the following:


Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: