Launde, formerly an extra-parochial tract, is now a parish in the Billsden union, Leicestershire. It is situated in a valley adjacent to Rutland, 7 miles NW from Upping-ham, and 2½ SE from Tilton station on the G.N. and L. & N.W. Joint railway. Post town, Leicester; money order office, Uppingham; telegraph office, East Norton. Acreage, 1263; population, 65. An Augustinian priory was founded here in 1125 by Richard Bassett, and was given at the dissolution to Lord Cromwell. A large mansion in the Tudor style, known as Launde Abbey, now occupies the priory's site, was built partly with its stones, is a seat of the Dawson family, and has attached to it a small but handsome chapel in the Norman, Early English, and Perpendicular styles.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Burnley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Launde from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: