UK Genealogy Archives logo

Kibworth Harcourt, Leicestershire

Historical Description

Kibworth Harcourt, a township and a parish adjoining Kibworth Beauchamp, with which it is ecclesiastically connected. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office under Leicester. Acreage, 1475; population, 460. A moated camp, 50 feet high and 360 in circuit, and a large barrow are in this parish. There is a Congregational chapel, which was founded by the Rev John Jennings, M.A. (ejected from the living of Astley Waspitt, Hants, 1662). He was succeeded in the Kibworth pastorate by his son, John Jennings, by whom an academy for training young men for the Christian ministry was kept. Dr P. Doddridge began his ministerial training here, and subsequently became pastor of the church. David Jennings, D.D., author of what was long regarded as a standard work on Jewish antiquities, was also a son of the founder of the church, and if not born here, spent his youth at Kibworth. John Aiken, D.D., afterward tutor at War-rington, was also for a time pastor of the Congregational church. Mrs Barbauld was a native of Kibworth. The manor belongs to Merton College, Oxford.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyLeicestershire 
Civil parishKibworth Beauchamp 
HundredGartree 
Poor Law unionMarket-Harborough 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Churches

Congregational

Congregational Chapel (parish church)

The Congregational chapel, originally erected during the ministration of the Rev. John Jennings, ejected in 1662 from the rectory of Hastley Wurpit, Hampshire; he was buried in the parish church, where there is a memorial to him: the chapel has three mural tablets to former ministers and a library of about 100 volumes: in 1889 a new organ was erected: there are 300 sittings.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Kibworth Harcourt from the following:


Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.


Maps

Online maps of Kibworth Harcourt are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online:

DistrictHarborough
CountyLeicestershire
RegionEast Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtLE8
Post TownLeicester