Hungarton, a village and a parish in Leicestershire. The village is 1¼ mile N from Ingersby station on the G.N.R., and 7 NE by E from Leicester, and has a post office under Leicester; money order office, Billesdon; telegraph office, Ingersby railway station. The parish contains also the liberty of Baggrave, and the hamlets of Ingersby and Quenby. Acreage, 3593; population of the civil parish, 307; of the ecclesiastical, 813. Baggrave Hall is a fine mansion, surrounded by well-wooded grounds. Quenby Hall for upwards of seven centuries belonged to the Ashbys. Ingersby Hall, an old moated building, is now a farmhouse. It formerly had a massive carved bedstead, said to be that on which Cardinal Wolsey died at Leicester Abbey. The living is a vicarage, united in 1732 with Twyford and Thorpe Satch-ville, in the diocese of Peterborough; joint net value, £114 with residence. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Early English style, and consists of nave, chancel, and S aisle, with porch and lofty spire. There are a Wesleyan chapel and some charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hungerton St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Billesdon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1614.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Hungarton:
Church of England
St. John the Baptist (parish church)
The church of St. John the Baptist is an ancient building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, fine south porch and an embattled western tower, with lofty spire, containing 3 bells and a clock, erected in 1892, at a cost of £100, as a memorial to N. H. Ashby esq.: there are eleven memorial windows: the church was restored, reseated in oak and an organ erected in 1851: in 1898 a new communion table and fittings were provided, and in 1885-6 the tower and spire were restored: in 1927 the Quenby chapel was restored by Capt. Sir Harold Stansmore Nutting bart. and a bible was given for use in the chapel by H.R.H. Princess Helena Victoria: there are 120 sittings, proportionately allotted between the people of Hungarton, Baggrave, Ingarsby and Quenby.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hungarton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Hungerton (St. John the Baptist))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Online maps of Hungarton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: