Hoton or Houghton, Leicestershire
Hoton or Houghton, a township-chapelry in Prestwold parish, Leicestershire, near the river Soar and the boundary with Notts, 3½ miles NE from Loughborough station on the M.R. and L. & N.W.R. It has a post office under Lough-borough; money order office, Wymeswold; telegraph office, Loughborongh. Acreage, 1410; population, 294. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the donative of Prestwold, in the diocese of Peterborough. The church was rebuilt in 1837, and has an embattled tower. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Loughborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Hoton:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hoton or Houghton from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: