High Cross, Leicestershire
High Cross, a place on the mutual border of Leicestershire and Warwickshire, at the intersection of Watling Street and the Fosse Way, and near the central watershed of England, 5 miles NW of Lutterworth. A high cross anciently stood here, and was supplanted by a beacon post for alarming the country in the event of an invasion. A handsome cross also was erected in 1812 to commemorate the peace of Utrecht.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: