Glen Magna or Great Glen, Leicestershire
Glen Magna or Great Glen, a village, a township, and a parish in Leicestershire. The village stands on an affluent of the river Soar, near the M.R., the Union Canal, and the Via Devana, 6 miles SE of Leicester, and has a station of the name of Glen on the railway, and a post, money arder, and telegraph office of the name of Great Glen under Leicester. The township includes the village, and extends beyond it. The parish contains also the township of Great Stretton. Area of Glen Magna, 2134 acres; population, 704; area of Great Stretton, 703 acres; population, 32; of ecclesiastical parish, 736. The living is a vicarage, united with the perpetual curacy of Great Stretton, in the diocese of Peterborough; net yearly value, £209 with residence. The church is a commodious building of red granite in the Early English and Decorated styles, consists of nave, chancel, north aisle, with embattled tower, and is good. There is a chapel of ease at Great Stretton, and a Wes-leyan chapel at Glen Magna. Stretton Hall is a mansion of brick, surrounded by beautiful grounds.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Glen Magna St. Cuthbert|
|Poor Law union||Billesdon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1596, but is much dilapidated.
Church of England
St. Cuthbert (parish church)
The church of St. Cuthbert is a building of red granite, chiefly in the Early English and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch, with a Norman doorway, and an embattled western tower containing a clock with two dials and 6 bells, dating from 1625 to 1785, retuned and rehung in 1898, two being recast, in memory of Charles Packe esq. and the clock and tower repaired, at a total cost of £240: there are piscinae in the chancel and north aisle; a carved stone, found at the restoration, is now built in the vestry wall, and there is an ancient font; the church was restored in 1876: there is a stained glass window of five panels at the east end of the church to the memory of Annie Elizabeth (d. [910). wife of Theodore Walker esq.: a new organ was provided in 1908: in 1920 Robert Rowley esq. J.P. presented a tablet bearing the names of the men of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18: there are 300 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Glen Magna or Great Glen from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Glen Magna (St. Cuthbert))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: