Garendon, formerly an extra-parochial tract, now a parish, in Leicestershire, 2 miles W of Loughborough. Acreage, 1193; population, 34. A Cistercian abbey was founded here in 1133 by Robert de Bossu, Earl of Leicester, was given at the dissolution to the Earl of Rutland, and passed to the family of Phillips. Garendon House, the seat of the Phillipps de Lisle family, a fine mansion in the Renaissance style, now occupies its site. The park surrounding the mansion is well stocked with deer, and has an area of about 500 acres. The entrance to the park is through a splendid arch, an exact facsimile of the arch of Titus at Rome.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Garendon from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: