Great Easton or Easton Magna, Leicestershire
Easton, Great, or Easton Magna, a township-chapelry in Bringhurst parish, Leicestershire. The township lies on the verge of the county, between the rivers Eye and Welland, 1½ mile W from Rockingham station on the G.N. and 1.. & N.W. Joint railway. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Uppingham. Acreage, 2360; population, 510. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Bringhurst, in the diocese of Peterborough; joint gross yearly value, £340, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Peterborough. The church is a fine building of stone in the Early English style, and there are Congregational and Wes-leyan chapels. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Easton Magna St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Uppingham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates for baptisms from 1650, marriages 1652, and burials 1656, and is in good condition.
Church of England
St. Andrew (parish church)
The church of St. Andrew is a building of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and a western tower with spire, 90 feet in height, and containing a clock presented in 1899 by Miss Holland, at a cost of £100, and 5 bells, all cast in 1684 and rehung in 1914: the pinnacles on the tower were blown down March 24th, 1895, and have not been re-erected: on the north side of the chancel is a recess inclosing a recumbent effigy of alabaster, much worn and without inscription: in the east wall to the north of the altar is an ancient aumbry; and there is also a small brass to the Rev. Stephen Atton D.D. vicar, d. 22 Sept. 1721: in the north aisle is a piscina and there are several stained windows: the reredos is of oak: the church was reseated in 1838, and in 1895 the roof was restored at a cost of £571: a font cover with cross and inscription was presented In 1884 by Mrs. Duke, and in 1906 a new organ was provided at a cost of £250: the church affords 320 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great Easton or Easton Magna from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Easton Magna (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: