Elton, a parish in Derbyshire, under Mouldridge Hill, 1 mile NW of Winster, 5 miles SW of Rowsley, and 3½ from Darley railway station. Post town, Matlock Bath; money order and telegraph office, Winster. Acreage, 1464; population, 476. The living is a rectory in the diocese of South-well; net value, £120 with residence. Patrons, the Inhabitants. The church was built about 1812 on the site of the ancient church, and the interior repaired in 1879. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Reform chapels, and a reading-room. Lead and iron are found.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Bakewell|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Elton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Elton)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Elton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: