Copt Oak, Leicestershire
Copt-Oak, an ecclesiastical parish in Markfield, Whitwick, Charley, Bardon, Newtown-Linford, and Ulverscroft parishes, Leicestershire, in Charnwood Forest, adjacent to the M.R., 2½ miles E from Bardon Hill station, and 7 SW from Loughborough. Post town, Leicester; money order and telegraph office, Markfield. Population, 438. The parish was constituted in 1860. The living is a vicarage, united with the Oaks, in the diocese of Peterborough; joint value, £173. Patrons, the Lords of Forest Manors.
The parish register dates from the year 1860.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Copt Oak:
Church of England
St. Peter (parish church)
The church of St. Peter is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave and a western tower with pinnacles containing 6 bells: at the east end is a stained glass window, installed by public subscription, in memory of men from the parish who gave their lives in the Great War, 1914-18: in 1889 the chancel was rebuilt and enlarged and reseated with oak, six new bells hung and an organ erected, at a cost of £3,050, by the late Mrs. Perry-Herrick: there are 200 sittings. At the entrance to the churchyard is an iron gate, erected in 1913 in memory of the Rev. W. R. Taggart, a former vicar of the parish.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Online maps of Copt Oak are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: