Coalville, an ecclesiastical parish in Leicestershire, 4½ miles ESE from Ashby-de-la-Zouch, on the Burton and Leicester branch of the M.B., on which it has a station, It has also a station called Coalville East on the L. & N.W.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Leicester. Population, 2692. The industries of the place, which is one of growing importance, include railway waggon works, a silk web factory, iron-founding, and brick and tile making. There is a large public hall built in 1876. Cattle sales are held monthly, and the Leicestershire Banking Company, Limited, have a sub-branch here. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough; gross value, £202 with residence. The church, a building of stone in the Early English style, was erected in 1838. There are Baptist, Calvinistic, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan chapels.
The parish register dates from the year 1840.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Coalville:
Church of England
All Saints, Ashby Road
The Mission church of All Saints, in Ashby road, was erected in 1895, on a site given by Messrs. T. and J. Jones, of Coalville; it was served by the clergy of the parish church.
Christ Church (parish church)
Christ Church, built in 1836, and consecrated in August, 1840, is an edifice of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, transepts, vestry and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing one bell: there is a memorial window to the Rev. Thomas Webb Minton M.A. vicar of Darlington and a former patron: the east window is a memorial to the Rev. William Gardner, a former vicar, his wife and daughter: the church was repaired in 1854, a vestry built and a new pulpit erected: in 1895 the chancel was rebuilt on a larger scale, the interior of the church restored and the organ enlarged, at a total cost of £2,000: there are 400 sittings.
Ashby Road Baptist Chapel, Ashby Road
The Baptist chapel, in Ashby road, was built in 1879, and has 500 sittings.
London Road Baptist Chapel, London Road
The Baptist chapel, in London road, was built in 1835, and has 600 sittings.
Coalville Calvinistic Methodist Chapel
Coalville Methodist Chapel
Coalville Wesleyan Chapel
The Roman Catholic church was a temporary building, Byzantine in style. It was erected through the generosity of the late Mr. Edwin de Lisle, and enlarged and furnished by the Rev. Joseph Degen. It is dedicated to St. Saviour (San Salvador) under the title of the Transfiguration. The high altar formerly belonged to the Reformatory school for boys, which was at one time connected with Mount St. Bernard's Abbey; there are references to this altar in Household Words by Charles Dickens.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Online maps of Coalville are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: