Burton on the Wolds, Leicestershire
Burton-on-the-Wolds, a township in Prestwold parish, Leicestershire, 4½ miles ENE of Loughborough. It has a post office under Loughborough; money order office, Wymeswald; telegraph office, Barrow-on-Soar. Acreage, 2585;. population, 309. Burton Hall is a seat of the Duke of Somerset. There are a mission church and a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Loughborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Burton on the Wolds:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Burton on the Wolds from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Burton-on-the-Wolds)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Online maps of Burton on the Wolds are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: